front: “San Diego” with 6 Landmarks: San Diego Mission, Raja Yoga, US Grant Hotel, Point Loma, Hotel del Coronado, Palm Trees planted 1769 (bowl); “California” (stem); “State Capitol” with building engraved (handle), Eureka Seal of CA (handle tip)
back: “Oil Well” with structure image, “Cliff House” with building image (handle); Mission Garden with images (handle tip)
spoon length: appx. 5.5″
Point Loma is a seaside community within the city of San Diego, California. Geographically it is a hilly peninsula that is bordered on the west and south by the Pacific Ocean, the east by the San Diego Bay and Old Town, and the north by the San Diego River. Together with the Silver Strand / Coronado peninsula, the Point Loma peninsula defines San Diego Bay and separates it from the Pacific Ocean. The term “Point Loma” is used to describe both the neighborhood and the peninsula.
Point Loma is historically important as the landing place of the first European expedition to come ashore in present-day California. The peninsula has been described as “where California began”. Today, Point Loma houses two major military bases, a national cemetery, a national monument, and a university, in addition to residential and commercial areas.
U.S. Grant Hotel
The U.S. Grant Hotel is a historic hotel in downtown San Diego, California. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is 11 stories high and has 270 guestrooms in addition to meeting rooms and a ballroom.
The hotel was built by Ulysses S. Grant, Jr., son of president Ulysses S. Grant, who named the hotel after his father. Grant bought the Horton House Hotel and demolished it to construct the current hotel. Noted architect Harrison Albright designed the hotel. San Diego voters helped finance $700,000 for the $1.5 million needed to construct the hotel after Grant lacked the funds to do so. The hotel opened on October 15, 1910 and included two swimming pools as well as a ballroom on the top floor.
The hotel’s signature restaurant is the Grant Grill, which opened in 1952. It became a power-lunch spot for downtown businessmen and politicians, so much so that “ladies” were not permitted in the restaurant before 3 PM. In 1969 a group of prominent local women staged a sit-in which resulted in the restaurant abandoning its men-only policy